During the summer many people use much of their air conditioning. The ducts can become clogged with pet dander, dust from the house and several other remains. The key to saving money and keeping your air conditioning in good condition is to periodically clean the ducts. Cleaning the duct should only take about 10 minutes and will keep your home healthier and with better air circulat.
- Remove the ventilation covers from the air conditioner. If the covers have screws remove them with a screwdriver. For guys who just fit in, lift one corner at a time.
- Wash the ventilation covers with soapy water. Apply two or three drops of mild dish detergent in a sink filled with warm water. If dust and dirt persist, leave the covers to soak. Rinse with clean water and dry with a clean cloth.
- Clean the inside of the conditioned water pipes as deep as you can with a damp cloth.
- Attach the long-range handle of the vacuum cleaner and remove as much dust and debris from the duct as possible. Although the deepest cleaning can only be achieved by a professional cleaning service, you should be able to clean a few feet. If the accumulated soil remains there, loosen it with a cleaning brush. Vacuum the rest of the dust and debris in and around the area.
- Reapply the ventilation covers in the air conditioning duct.
Tips & Warnings:
- Store the ventilation screws in a plastic bag while cleaning the covers so you do not lose them.
- Wear gloves and a face mask. There could be harmful mold present inside the air conditioning ducts.